Fluid dispersions and slurries of ceramics, conductive particles, and nanomaterials are important inputs to display technologies and electronics, and energy storage devices. Rheology modifiers help to control viscosity and flow to improve consistency of application and extend useable lifetimes of these systems.
Besides just viscosity, the structure and solid-like properties of especially nanodispersions play a crucial role in dispersion attributes and behaviours. Often the rheology of products for the advanced materials market has to be adjusted to fit the needs of each application. Therefore, formulation may require specifically tailored rheology modifiers.
Our high-performance rheology modifiers include several different technologies, versatile enough to give formulators the desired rheological characteristics to both aqueous and non-aqueous formulations.
Aqueous emulsion polymers
Rheoptima B32 is a high-performance grade hydrophobically modified alkali soluble emulsion (HASE), which offers the following benefits:
- Allows even distribution of fine droplets
- Pseudoplastic. Viscosity is immediately recovered when shear stress is removed
- Able to suspend particulates
- Suitable for water based systems, and has tolerance of some alcohols and surfactants
Thermally reversible gellants
As well as a portfolio of aqueous rheology modifiers, Croda offer a range of speciality polymeric thickening agents based on a renewable polyamide technology. These have been designed to thicken solvents of almost any polarity. These products form thermo reversible gels.
Key benefits gellants by Croda
- Can be used as stearic stabilisers for dispersions and particulates due to their acid and amine functionality
- Versatile product range with different terminal end groups giving compatibility in a variety of formulations
- Thixotropic rheology at low (< 5%) concentration
- Ideal for printing inks and pastes
- High renewable carbon content
Polyamides contain both amine and acid functionality making them good dispersants, providing excellent stearic stabilisation of particles. This allows for higher solids loading whilst maintaining a workable viscosity.
Dispersing agentsSpeciality dispersing agents
Monomeric and polymeric dispersing agents for a diverse range of particle types and solvents.Read more
Advanced ceramicsDispersants and rheology modifiers for advanced ceramic slurries
high performance dispersants and rheology modifiers for advanced ceramic slurries, allowing high loading, controlled rheology, and improved stability.Read more
Electronic materialsSpeciality ingredients for electronic applications
Enhancing processing efficiency and product performance in various electronic materialsRead more